Travelling with a dog in India can be an exciting and rewarding adventure, but it does require careful planning, especially when it comes to booking train tickets. Indian Railways has special rules and regulations for travelling with pets, and understanding them is essential to ensure a smooth journey for both you and your beloved pet. In this blog post, we will cover in detail how to book train tickets to travel with a dog in India, including how to choose the right train and class, the booking process, preparation for the journey, onboard information, and safety and health measures.
Know the Rules and Regulations:
The first step in booking train tickets to travel with a dog in India is to familiarize yourself with the rules. Indian Railways allows dogs to travel with their owners, but certain guidelines must be followed. Dogs are not allowed in Air Conditioned (AC) First Class, AC 2-Tier and AC 3-Tier coaches. However, they are allowed in sleeper class, second class and luggage compartments, subject to availability and payment of the pet charge. It is important to note that only small-sized dogs, weighing up to 15 kg, are allowed on trains.
Rules for carrying dogs with passengers on Indian Railways are as follows
- Class Restrictions: Dogs are not allowed in air-conditioned (AC) first class, AC 2-tier, and AC 3-tier compartments. However, they are permitted in sleeper class, second class, and luggage compartments, subject to availability and payment of a pet charge.
- Weight Limit: Only small-sized dogs, weighing up to 15 kg, are allowed on trains.
- Health Certificate: A health certificate from a registered veterinary practitioner stating that the dog is fit for travel is required. Vaccination records, including rabies vaccination, should be up-to-date.
- Identification Tag: The dog should have an identification tag with the owner’s name, address, and contact number.
- Booking Process: During the online booking process, passengers need to indicate that they will be travelling with a pet and provide details such as the breed, age, and weight of the dog. If booking through a travel agent or directly at the railway station, passengers need to inform the agent or the railway staff about their pet and provide the required paperwork, including the health certificate and vaccination records.
- Pet Charge: Passengers travelling with a dog need to pay a pet charge, which varies depending on the class of travel and the distance of the journey. The pet charge is in addition to the regular ticket fare.
- Leash and Carrier: Dogs should be kept on a leash or in a suitable carrier at all times during the train journey to prevent them from wandering off or disturbing other passengers.
- Onboard Etiquette: Passengers should follow proper onboard etiquette, including keeping their dog on a leash, not allowing them to sit on seats or beds, and cleaning up after them if they make a mess. Passengers should be considerate of other passengers who may have allergies or fear dogs.
- Safety and Health Measures: Passengers should ensure the safety and health of their dogs during the train journey by providing them with clean water and food at regular intervals, taking them for short walks during longer stops at stations (if allowed), and carrying necessary medications and first aid supplies for emergencies.
Choose the Right Train and Class:
Once you are familiar with the rules and regulations, the next step is to choose the right train and class for travelling with your dog. Consider the duration of the journey, the availability of amenities, and the comfort of your dog. Sleeper class compartments usually have open berths where your dog can rest comfortably, while second class and luggage compartments may have limited seating or no seating at all. If your dog is comfortable with long journeys and can manage without air conditioning, a non-AC class may be suitable. However, if your dog requires air conditioning or is not accustomed to long journeys, you may need to opt for a train with AC compartments.
Booking train tickets for travelling with a dog in India can be done through various methods. The most convenient option is to book online through the official website of Indian Railways or through authorized ticketing websites or mobile apps. During the booking process, you will need to indicate that you will be travelling with a pet and provide details such as the breed, age, and weight of your dog. It is essential to provide accurate information to avoid any issues during the journey.
Alternatively, you can also book train tickets for travelling with a dog through a travel agent or directly at the railway station. If you choose these options, make sure to inform the agent or the railway staff about your pet and follow the required procedures and paperwork, such as providing the health certificate and vaccination records.
Preparing for the Journey:
Preparing for the train journey with your dog is crucial to ensure their comfort and safety. Pack essential items such as food, water, bedding, leash, and waste disposal bags for your dog. It is important to have enough food and water on board so that the journey lasts as long as possible because at rail stations there may never be an easy option for pets. It is also recommended that you introduce your dog to the atmosphere of a train with short visits so that she can be familiarized with its sight, sound and smell.
it is important to observe proper onboard manners when travelling by train with a dog in India. Be respectful to other passengers, railway personnel and the train’s cleanliness. Keep your dog on a leash at all times and do not allow them to disturb other passengers. Avoid letting your dog sit on the seats or beds and clean up after them if they make a mess. Be aware of other passengers who may be allergic or worried about dogs and don’t let your dog go near them, without their permission.
Safety and Health Measures:
Ensuring the safety and health of your dog during the train journey is paramount. Make sure your dog is wearing their identification tag with your contact details at all times. Keep them secure in a suitable carrier or with a leash to prevent them from wandering off or getting lost. If your dog is prone to anxiety or motion sickness, consult your veterinarian for appropriate medication or calming techniques.
It is also important to take care of your dog’s health during the journey. Provide them with clean water and food at regular intervals, and take them for short walks during longer stops at stations if allowed. Keep your dog’s vaccination records handy, as railway authorities may ask for them during the journey. Be prepared with basic first aid supplies for your dog, including any necessary medications, in case of any emergencies.
Booking train tickets for travelling with a dog in India requires careful planning and adherence to rules and regulations set by Indian Railways. Knowing the class restrictions, choosing the right train and class, following the booking process, preparing for the journey, maintaining onboard etiquette, and ensuring safety and health measures for your dog are essential steps to ensure a smooth and enjoyable train journey. With proper planning and consideration for your furry friend, you can create wonderful memories of travelling with your dog in India by train. Happy travels!
Remember, when maintaining proper decorum on board and taking care of your dog’s health and well-being during the flight, you should always be respectful to other passengers. Keep their vaccination records handy, provide them with clean water and food, and be prepared with basic first aid supplies. With proper preparation and consideration, you can create unforgettable memories of travelling with your beloved dog in India by train.
So, go ahead and plan your next train journey with your furry companion and explore the beautiful destinations in India together. Happy travels, and don’t forget to share your adventures with your fellow pet lovers! Woof-tastic journeys await!